A video audition is required for Blue Lake staff candidates who wish to participate in ensembles or teach at the Junior Camp. It is in your interest as an applicant to submit your audition at the time you submit your completed staff application. If it is necessary to submit your videos separately, we strongly recommend that they be submitted as soon as possible. While we can speak in general terms about employment and performance/teaching opportunities without your audition, applicants cannot be considered for specific positions until materials are complete, including the audition and three recommendations.
Only video recordings are accepted. Do not use any form of editing, reverberation, or acoustic altering effects. Videos should be recent, within the last 6 months. Each section of your audition should be its own file. Label your files with your instrument, name, and description. Ex: Clarinet_ JohnSmith _Excerpt_Beethoven6.mov. You will be asked to provide links to your shared files (i.e. in your Google drive, Dropbox, etc.). Make sure the privacy settings/permissions are set so that our reviewers can access your videos without an account or login.
- Three scales (full range of instrument), using a variety of articulations or bowings
- Chromatic scale, full range of instrument, not required for harp
- Etude or two standard orchestral excerpts *
- Solo (one movement, accompanied or unaccompanied)*
* Demonstrate your most advanced technique, lyrical style, phrasing, and musicality. If you have recently completed a solo recital, you may submit portions of the recital in place of the etude, excerpts, or solo. Please do not submit ensemble works or full-length recital recordings.
Include demonstration of proficiency and technique on timpani, mallets, and snare through exercises, orchestral excerpts, and solo. If you play jazz set, you may submit a recording of a jazz recording of which you are included.
- State your name and choral voice part on your recording
- Sing a vocalise (with minimal piano support) that will showcase your tone color and range
(e.g. Do-Mi-Sol-Mi-Do or Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-Fa-Mi-Re-Do)
- Begin in a comfortable middle range and ascend by half steps to your highest practical note
- Begin in a comfortable middle range and descend by half steps to your lowest practical note
- At the end of the vocalise, state your highest and lowest note performed (e.g. A♭5, B♭3)
- Sing two selections of contrasting genre and/or style (e.g. art song, aria, folk song, musical theater)
In addition to the items listed above, include a demonstration of improvisational skills. For example, select a tune from the Real Book and improvise over its changes.
If you are interested in accompanying or collaborating in ensembles (chamber or jazz), please include a recording demonstrating proficiency and technique through scales, etudes, and solo or ensemble work. For scales, demonstrate both hands, two octaves, parallel and contrary motion.
Include information indicating your proficiency on standard doubles for your instrument, along with performance experience, and which instruments you will be able to bring with you. Applicants are encouraged to include selections for each instrument on the audition recording (e.g. include bass clarinet or E♭ clarinet along with your B♭ clarinet recording).