Video Audition Guidelines
All audition recordings should be submitted electronically.
- Only video recordings (e.g. MP4, WMV, MOV) will be accepted. DO NOT use any form of editing, reverberation, or acoustic altering effects in your recording. Recordings should be recent, within the last 6 months.
- Each selection should be its own file (e.g. scales, etude, excerpts, solo, etc.). Smaller file formats are preferred; there is a 10GB limit per submission.
- Files must be clearly labeled with your instrument, name, and description
Clarinet_ JohnSmith _Excerpt_Beethoven6.wmv
Trombone_ JaneDoe _Chromatic.wmv
MezzoVoice_ SallyJones _DidosLament.wmv
Instrumentalists: Include each of the following in your audition:
- Three scales (full range of instrument), using a variety of articulations or bowings
- Chromatic Scale (full range of instrument, strings and harp are exempt)
- Etude or Two Standard Orchestral Excerpts *
- Solo (one movement, accompanied or unaccompanied)*
Percussionists: Include a demonstration of proficiency and technique on timpani, mallets, and snare through exercises, orchestral excerpts, and solo. If you play jazz set, you may submit a recording of a jazz group of which you are a member.
Vocalists: Include a demonstration of proficiency, technique, and range through vocalise and a selected solo or combination of solos. Please be sure to demonstrate contrasting styles.
Jazz Prospects: In addition to the items listed above, include a demonstration of improvisational skills (for example, select a tune from the Real Book and improvise over its changes).
Pianists: If you are interested in accompanying or participating in ensembles (chamber or jazz), please include a recording demonstrating proficiency and technique through scales, exercises, and solo or ensemble work. For your scales, please demonstrate both hands, two octaves, parallel and contrary motion.
Attention Flutists, Clarinetists, Oboists, Saxophonists: Please include a note with your recording or application indicating your proficiency on any standard doubles for your instrument, along with any performance experience you have had and which instruments you will be able to bring with you for the summer. Applicants are encouraged to include selections for each instrument on the audition recording (e.g. include bass clarinet or Eb clarinet along with your B♭ clarinet recording).
Flute… piccolo, alto flute, bass flute
Clarinet… A clarinet, E♭ clarinet, alto, bass, contra-alto, contra-bass clarinets
Oboe… English horn
Bassoon… Contra bassoon
Saxophone… soprano, alto, tenor, baritone saxes; clarinet, flute