Video Audition Guidelines
All audition videos should be submitted electronically at www.bluelake.org/auditions/staff. You will be asked to provide links to your shared files (i.e. in your Google drive, Dropbox, etc.). Make sure the privacy settings/permissions are set so that our reviewers can access your videos without an account or login.
- Only video recordings will be accepted. DO NOT use any form of editing, reverberation, or acoustic altering effects in your recording. Recordings should be recent, within the last 6 months.
- Each selection should be its own file (e.g. scales, etude, excerpts, solo, etc.).Files must be clearly labeled with your instrument, name, and description
Clarinet_ JohnSmith _Excerpt_Beethoven6.wmv
Trombone_ JaneDoe _Chromatic.wmv
MezzoVoice_ SallyJones _DidosLament.wmv
Instrumentalists: Include each of the following in your audition:
- Three scales (full range of instrument), using a variety of articulations or bowings
- Chromatic Scale (full range of instrument, strings and harp are exempt)
- Etude or Two Standard Orchestral Excerpts *
- Solo (one movement, accompanied or unaccompanied)*
* Please make sure you are demonstrating your most advanced technique, lyrical style, phrasing, and musicality. If you have recently completed a solo recital, you may submit portions of the recital in place of the etude, excerpts, or solo. Please do not submit ensemble works or full-length recital recordings.
Percussionists: Include a demonstration of proficiency and technique on timpani, mallets, and snare through exercises, orchestral excerpts, and solo. If you play jazz set, you may submit a recording of a jazz group of which you are a member.
Vocalists: Include each of the following in your audition:
- State your name and choral voice part on your recording
- Sing a vocalise (with minimal piano support) that will showcase your tone color and range.
(e.g. Do-Mi-Sol-Mi-Do or Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-Fa-Mi-Re-Do)
- Begin in a comfortable middle range and ascend by half steps to your highest practical note
- Begin in a comfortable middle range and descend by half steps to your lowest practical note
- At the end of the vocalise, state your highest and lowest note performed (e.g. A♭5, B♭3)
- Sing two selections of contrasting genre and/or style (e.g. Art song, Aria, Folk song, Musical Theater)
Jazz Prospects: In addition to the items listed above, include a demonstration of improvisational skills (for example, select a tune from the Real Book and improvise over its changes).
Pianists: If you are interested in accompanying or participating in ensembles (chamber or jazz), please include a recording demonstrating proficiency and technique through scales, exercises, and solo or ensemble work. For your scales, please demonstrate both hands, two octaves, parallel and contrary motion.
Attention Flutists, Clarinetists, Oboists, Saxophonists: Please include a note with your recording or application indicating your proficiency on any standard doubles for your instrument, along with any performance experience you have had and which instruments you will be able to bring with you for the summer. Applicants are encouraged to include selections for each instrument on the audition recording (e.g. include bass clarinet or E♭ clarinet along with your B♭ clarinet recording).
Flute… piccolo, alto flute, bass flute
Clarinet… A clarinet, E♭ clarinet, alto, bass, contra-alto, contra-bass clarinets
Oboe… English horn
Bassoon… Contra bassoon
Saxophone… soprano, alto, tenor, baritone saxes; clarinet, flute